In this episode of Commitment Matters, Mary chats with Loretta Salzano, President at Franzen and Salzano, P.C. Visit Loretta’s website or connect with her via email at email@example.com. As a reminder, as with all our podcast episodes, this interview should not be considered as legal advice.
During their conversation, Loretta or Mary mentioned:
- Here’s an overview from RESPA News regarding the resurgence of joint ventures. For a deeper dive into ABAs check out this article detailing their evolution.
- Loretta mentions the importance of a culture of compliance.
- Here’s a look at the three requirements for safe harbor under the law and a glimpse at how the CFPB is widening its RESPA enforcement.
- Lorretta mentioned HUD’s Ten Factor Test for Controlled Business Arrangements in the HUD Statement of Policy 1996-2.
- RESPA News gives us the Do’s and Don’t’s of MSAs and the CFPB’s definition of them.
- Loretta mentions co-marketing regulations, as well. Here’s what the National Association of Realtors suggests.
- This article highlights the ebb and flow of “cozy marketing arrangements” in the mortgage industry.
- The CFPB ordered Lighthouse Title to pay $200,000 for illegal quid pro quo referral agreements in an effort to take action against mortgage kickback agreements.
- The CFPB created this downloadable version of its RESPA FAQs, released in October of 2020.
- MLinc Solutions can advise and evaluate the fair market value of sponsorships and promotions.
- Here’s a bit more about Pass Through Leases.
- Loretta talks about Grant Mitchell, who was knowns a Mr. RESPA. She also mentions Mick Mulvaney and Kathy Kraninger – both of whom have led the CFPB in the past.
- As noted, the acting CFPB director, David Uejio outlined priorities and announced plans for more aggressive enforcement and supervision.
- MSAs and other arrangements are under FDIC scrutiny.
- Here’s more on the “mini” CFPBs developing in some states.
- The CFPB is hiring!
- Mary asked about seasonal gifts. Here’s what the CFPB says about RESPA Section 8 and gifts.
- Learn more about Section 9 of RESPA.
- You can also watch this RESPA News webinar which explains the differences between sections 8 and 9, where section 9 applies, and expands on the term, “required use.”
- Here’s a look back at a Stewart Title Guaranty Company’s blog, offering insights on social media and referrals.
- Mary and Loretta mention UDAP. Here’s the FTC’s handbook on the matter.
If you’d like to contact the Commitment Matters podcast, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to subscribe, rate, and review this podcast on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts, or visit RamQuest.com/podcast to download the latest episode.
Lastly, we love to see when and how you’re listening. Share our posts, or create your own and tag them: #CommitmentMattersPodcast